The Cost of Failed Attempts
Of all invasive medical procedures, venipuncture is the most common and these venipuncture attempts can fail. As a result:
- Blood tests that facilitate diagnosis and patient management may be delayed;
- Intravenous therapy may not begin promptly;
- Physician intervention to access a difficult vein can erode productivity;
- Patients may endure unnecessary needlesticks and additional discomfort;
- Stress may increase for both patients and staff.
But by using vein illumination with AccuVein’s breakthrough device, many veins that might be otherwise undetectable without a vein locator, can be located and mapped on the patient’s skin.
How Does It Work?
Hemoglobin in the blood absorbs infrared light. When the device is held above the skin, veins appear noticeably different than the surrounding tissue. The vasculature shows up clearly on the skin’s surface, aiding in vein location to collect a blood sample or administer IV medications.
Vein Locator Features
Features of vein illumination with AccuVein’s breakthrough device:
- Easy to learn and use – No pre-use calibration or adjustments are necessary- it can be used immediately.
- Small size –The device fits in your hand and weighs only 10 ounces.
- Hands-free option –In situations that require hands-free use, the device can be placed in a wheeled hands-free accessory or one that quickly attaches to a chair or bedrail.
- No patient contact –Because the device has been designed to be non-contact, it may not have to be sterilized after every use.
- Works in light or dark –Use the device in light or darkly lit environments.
- Rechargeable battery –The device doesn’t need to be plugged into an electrical outlet.
- Real world ruggedness – Designed to take the wear and tear of hospital and field applications.
- Movement tolerant –Because the device shows the veins in real time, when operated properly, the device can accommodate patient movement.
An Essential Tool
As you know venipuncture can be particularly challenging in some patients. Those with difficult venous access (DVA) can include the elderly, dark-skinned and obese patients. In fact, finding a suitable vein may pose a challenge on any patient. Given this challenge we think you’ll find vein illumination with AccuVein’s breakthrough device as essential for venipuncture as a stethoscope is for examining the heart and lungs. Once put into use, the benefits of the device will become so evident it will become part of the standard of care for all blood draws and IV starts.
For more information on how the AccuVein vein locator can faciliate venipuncture procedures, please contact us at +1 (816) 997-9400.