Vein Visualization Displays Veins Beneath the Surface
Vein illumination with AccuVein vein visualization technology can aid in IV sedation for dental procedures. Simply hold the device above the skin, and the vasculature is displayed on the surface of the skin. Easy to use, these vein finders may save valuable time for dentists and their patients.
Portable Vein Visualization Helps Address Challenges
- The elderly,
- Dark-skinned patients, whose veins may not be visible,
- Obese patients, whose veins may not be visible or palpable,
- Agitated or restless patients
The Cost of Failed Attempts
- Intravenous sedation may not begin promptly;
- Patients may endure unnecessary needlesticks and additional discomfort;
- Stress may increase for both patients and the dentist or oral surgeon.
- Increased costs per procedure, (e.g., needles, catheters, gauze, etc.). It’s estimated that every attempt to insert a peripheral catheter can cost about $32.
- Decreased productivity can occur because a missed vein requires the procedure to be repeated.
The Good News
- Lower costs/procedure;
- Increased productivity;
- More timely treatment;
- Point and click – Simply aim the portable vein finder at an area of skin and click to locate the veins beneath the skin’s surface.
- Small size – The device weighs only 10 ounces and is easily handheld. When not in use, it’s small enough to carry in the pocket of scrubs or uniforms.
- Hands-free option – In situations that require hands-free use, the device quickly attaches to a chair or bedrail.
- Non-contact – Because the device has been designed not to come into contact with the patient, the device may not require sterilization between uses.
- Works in light or dark – The device effectively locates veins under light or dark lighting conditions.
- Rechargeable battery – The device doesn’t need to be plugged into an electrical outlet.
- Accuracy –Permanently aligned; center line accurate to less then the width of a human hair.
- Movement tolerant – Because the device shows the veins in real time, the device can accommodate patient movement, when operated properly, a critical feature for IV sedation procedures performed on children and restless or combative patients.
A Must for Every IV Sedation Procedure
As Dentist Anesthesiologist Jason Brady says,”The AccuVein increases your success of placing an IV on the first attempt. A great utility for patients with anxiety.”
Because of these benefits and its ease of use, it’s not just good business sense to encourage use of vein illumination with AccuVein’s breakthrough device for every patient, it is good patient care.