Hemoglobin in the blood absorbs infrared light. When AccuVein’s device is held above the skin and activated, it can detect the difference in the hemoglobin concentration between the veins and surrounding tissue, and projects a map of the veins on the skin above them. Locating the point of needle placement is suddenly simplified for phlebotomy techniques.
Don’t just take our word for it. The 5th Edition of Phlebotomy Essentials, a leading phlebotomy textbook, features AccuVein’s device, calling it, “a useful device that makes it easier to locate veins that are difficult to see or feel.”
Key features of vein illumination with AccuVein’s breakthrough device include:
- Easy to learn and use – Just point the device at an area of skin and click to locate the veins beneath.
- Small size – The device is small enough to fit into your hand and weighs only 10 ounces.
- Hand-held or hands-free use – In situations that require hands-free use, the device quickly attaches to a chair or bedrail or can be placed in a wheeled hands-free accessory.
- Non-contact – Because the device has been designed to be non-contact, the device may not need to be sterilized between uses.
- Setting flexibility – The device can be used in light or dark environments. It runs on a rechargeable battery, so there’s no need to be near an electrical outlet.
- Movement tolerant – Because the device shows the veins in real time, the device can accomodate patient movement.
Useful With a Variety of Patients
Phlebotomists know that venipuncture can be particularly challenging in some patients. Those with difficult venous access (DVA) can include :
- The elderly;
- Dark-skinned patients, whose veins may not be visible;
- Obese patients, whose veins may not be visible or palpable;
- Patients having many diagnostic or therapeutic intravenous procedures;
- Burn victims;
- Agitated or restless patients;
- Oncology patients on chemotherapy;
- Other patients with chronic diseases;
- Drug abusers.
In fact, finding a suitable vein can pose a challenge on any patient.
Once phlebotomists try vein illumination with AccuVein’s breakthrough device and see how much easier it can make a venipuncture, they’ll want the confidence it provides for every draw.
For more information on AccuVein’s device and phlebotomists, please contact us at +1 (816) 997-9400.